Yuma, Arizona - The City of Yuma Police Department has taken a report reference a “skimming” device being found at a local gas pump. This skimmer was found and removed on June 17th.
These devices are installed electronic devices that are attached to the gas pumps and are hard to detect. They are used to obtain credit and debit card information by capturing the PIN and account information. This information may be used later to make fraudulent purchases with the victim’s account. Skimmers also are commonly planted in ATMs. The funds are often not taken until several months later making the crime of the actual scam difficult to pinpoint.
The devices are usually left on the pump for a short period of time and then later removed by the criminals. There have been increased reports of this type of crime all across the country and we are not isolated from this type of crime. The below listed tips may prevent you from being a victim of “skimming”:
1. You can select credit at the pump to avoid falling victim to debit card fraud.
2. Routinely check your bank statements and use credit cards with fraud protection to avoid identify theft.
3. You can pay inside the store and remain inside to sign all credit card receipts.
4. Make sure you get your receipts and properly destroy them by shredding.
5. Don’t use pumps hidden from the view of the gas station attendant.
If you believe you have been a victim of this type of crime please report it to the City of Yuma Police Department at (928) 373-4700.