Scottsdale, Arizona - The long-awaited Children’s Learning & Play Festival opens at WestWorld of Scottsdale on Saturday, October 1. The festival is free, indoors and open to the public with widely-acclaimed children’s authors, illustrators, live music and performances, local vendors and activities for toddlers, children and young adults.
“We are pleased to present an exciting day of reading, learning activities and fun for children, parents and families,” said Kathleen M. Wade, Scottsdale Public Library’s Director. The event is supported by the Scottsdale Public Library, The City of Scottsdale, Scottsdale Parks and Recreation and Scottsdale Unified School District.
The event features author readings, costumed characters, a life-size T-Rex dinosaur and wildlife zone with live animals, birds and reptiles. A chalk festival, bounce house, Lego® racing and “Show and Tell” with city fire engines, firefighters, police officers and activities are slated. Plus readings by Marc Brown, creator of the Arthur® books and Emmy Award-winning PBS TV show, and author/composer Carrie Blake-Brekke presenting Mrs. B’s Storytime…With A Twist puppet shows and sing-alongs.
Also appearing are author/teacher Terri Fields, award-winning children’s author Monica Brown, illustrator Juana Martinez-Neal, whimsical writer and illustrator Molly Idle, children’s book illustrator Lynne Avril, actor/young adult author Tom Leveen, teen novelist Amy Fellner Dominy, along with children’s picture book authors Juanita Havill, Michael Hale, Phoebe Fox and B. G. Hennessy. Readings, performances and interactive highlights include:
• Two live readings by Marc Brown, Arthur® series creator and author
• Storytelling, author readings, book signings, free coloring books
• Scottsdale Library’s “Play Palooza” and little tykes reading area
• Live animals, birds, reptiles and nature conservation exhibits
• Scottsdale singing duo “Wayward Maggie” family-friendly music
• Desert Discovery Center Scottsdale’s Wildlife & Nature Conservation Zone
• YMCA Fitness Zone, Mad Science Magic Slime, and Bubble-ology
• Cardboard building blocks for toddlers, LEGO® for older kids
• Ice Cream Science by Dr. Maya Warren, Cold Stone Creamery® Tastemaster™
• Stay & Play for infants and toddlers (20-min. sessions, space limited)
• Area vendors, exhibitors and food trucks
Children’s Learning & Play Festival is supported by Scottsdale Public Library, Scottsdale Parks and Recreation, City of Scottsdale and The Friends of The Scottsdale Public Library. Sponsors include Cold Stone Creamery, Desert Discovery Center Scottsdale, Tuft & Needle, Southwest Human Development and Tonto Creek Camp. Media partners are Arizona Republic, AZCentral.com, Arizona Parenting Magazine. Produced by On The Edge Promotions.
Children’s Learning & Play Festival
Where: WestWorld of Scottsdale, 16601 N. Pima Road, Scottsdale, AZ 85260
Date/Hours: Saturday, October 1, 2016. Hours 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Admission: Free, accepting non-perishable food for Concerned Citizens for Community Health
Special Note: Indoors/air-conditioned. Parking is free.
About The Scottsdale Public Library
More than a place to borrow books and films, Scottsdale Public Library provides access to its collections, services and activities for people of all ages including summer reading programs, learning skills workshops, teen learning center, discovery zone, adult programs, book fairs, and special literary events. Visit www.scottsdalelibrary.org.