Yuma, Arizona (NAPSI) - There’s a delicious flavor movement taking hold. Food lovers are embracing real, focused flavors over complex presentations that are more like science experiments than recipes. Guided by the motto that “the most memorable food is often the simplest,” now we are celebrating quality ingredients at their peak of flavor with straightforward preparations.
This trend is identified in the McCormick® Flavor Forecast® 2012 as “Simplicity Shines.”
“We’re seeing a new appreciation for real, natural goodness, especially now, when warmer weather inspires a simpler approach to eating,” said Chef Mark Garcia of the McCormick Kitchens. “In this case, ‘simplicity’ isn’t just about quick and easy-it’s about a clarity of flavors that reminds us what ‘real’ food tastes like.” The pairing of vanilla with butter is a perfect example of this trend. Together, these back-to-basics flavors have the power to elevate everyday meals in a way that’s anything but basic.
Pure essentials in baked goods, these ingredients inspire new savory recipes that bring the flavors to the forefront in surprising ways. Vanilla-Butter Shrimp Rolls are a new take on a regional American favorite. Unmistakable vanilla highlights the natural sweetness of shrimp, while butter adds richness to these classic sandwiches. The vanilla-butter combination also enhances ice cream sundaes with Easy Butter Toffee Sauce—a sumptuous blend of butter, sugar, vanilla and cream.
For a delicious look at more trends, flavors and recipes, visit www.FlavorForecast.com.
Vanilla-Butter Shrimp Rolls
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
8 New England−style hot dog rolls (top split) or regular hot dog rolls, split
3 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
1 pound large shrimp, peeled, deveined and cut in half
¼ teaspoon McCormick® Paprika
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon McCormick® Ground Black Pepper
2 tablespoons dry sherry or white wine
1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
¼ cup mayonnaise
1 to 2 cups small salad greens, such as mâche, baby spinach or baby arugula
1. Lightly brush rolls with 2 tablespoons of butter. Heat large skillet on medium heat. Place rolls, buttered-side down, in skillet. Toast 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden brown. Remove from skillet. Set aside.
2. Heat oil and remaining 1 tablespoon butter in same skillet on medium heat. Add shallots and garlic; cook and stir 1 minute, until fragrant. Add shrimp, paprika, salt and pepper; cook and stir 3 to 4 minutes, just until shrimp turn pink. Stir in sherry and vanilla; cook until heated through.
3. Spread mayonnaise on each roll. Place baby greens in rolls. Spoon shrimp mixture into each roll. Drizzle shrimp with remaining sauce. Serve immediately.
Makes 8 servings.
Easy Butter Toffee Sauce
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
½ cup (1 stick) butter
½ cup sugar
½ cup heavy cream
½ teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
1. Place butter and sugar in medium saucepan on medium heat. Cook and stir until mixture turns a deep amber color.
2. Carefully stir in cream and vanilla. (Mixture will be bubbly.) Whisking constantly, cook until sauce thickens and coats back of spoon.
Makes 1 cup or 8 (2-tablespoon) servings.